Subject: Re: SGI XFS filesystem
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/24/1999 19:05:41
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

> > I was wondering, in light of the SGI announcement to share XFS (a 64 bit
> > journaled file system, with nifty features) with the "Open Source
> > Community", if there are any plans to incorporate XFS into NetBSD. If not,
> > I'm putting up my hand to help get it integrated as a first class citizen
> > (once it is released - likely late northern hemisphere summer according to
> > the PR).
>
> Depending on SGI's terms, it might not be integratable into the main tree
> as it might be GPL'd. But an lkm would work just fine. And I think it'd be
> a good thing to have.

	I tend to agree that it would be good to have, but I have a
strong suspicion that SGI's code is near-useless for the purposes of
actual integration, and would primairly be valuable as documentation
to someone who was re-implementing the filesystem. SGI's code deals
with their volume manager, wacky guaranteed-rate I/O subsystem, and
lots of other internals that we, and probably every OS other than Irix
(well, okay, maybe not some of the other SVR4 derivatives), do not
have.

	- Nathan