Subject: Re: MFS over ISO-9660 union mounted with no swap space?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/1999 17:53:47
On Fri, 14 May 1999, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> Also, let's consider the "typical" piece of h/w that I think will be common
> when I finish writing this code: An Alpha or Merced at >= 500 MHz
> with at least 1/4 GB of DRAM and around 50 GB of disk.

While I don't have any hard data to support this, my gut feeling is that
this free space as swap thing is a bad idea and I wouldn't like it at
all...

I would like to comment on your "typical" hardware though... NetBSD
tries hard to work well on all hardware, not just what happens to be
common at the time. I don't know what your time frame is for finishing
this, but I think it'd be another 5 years or so before I got the sort of
hardware you're talking about :)

My main machine is a Pentium 133 with 128MB RAM, 10GB disk (of which I
have maybe 50MB free). My other machine, which was originally intended
just to be a router, but has now taken on the job of mail server is a
386/33 with 8MB RAM, 100MB disk, and never has more than about 5MB free.
Unless I can find free stuff, I don't forsee that machine ever being
upgraded at all. While it could use more disk, I don't feel like paying
for any :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++