Subject: Re: MFS over ISO-9660 union mounted with no swap space?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/1999 10:16:18
Mike Cheponis wrote:
> It comes from a deep-seated belief: never impose limitations when
> none are needed.

It comes from deep-seated belief: KISS & keep things under control.

> to do a molecular model that needed 11 GB?  Well, I'd be SOL.

I'm not sure you would be happy with performance of 11 GB
file-based (and possibly fragmented) swap ;-) And I'm cringing
in terror while I image your defragmenter trying to defragment
live swap file ;-)

> I don't understand why everybody seems to want to hardwire constants
> into the filesystems when a more flexible approach doesn't need
> to do that.

The swap file size is not hardwired, if you mean that.

> > On the other hand, if my system was using the
> >"free disk space" for swap instead of a fixed partition, I would
> > run out of swap all the time when my disks become full. ;-)
>
> This can be easily handled by quotas or other policy decisions.

I'm eager to know how you'd like to enforce quotas on swap ?

> Gentlemen, we simply -must- break out of this 20th-century unix
> box we've
> been living in and re-evaluate how to make our beloved OS the winner in
> the 21st century!

This sentence is a crap.

Jarda