Subject: Re: MFS over ISO-9660 union mounted with no swap space?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/13/1999 07:39:00
On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 12:16:19PM -0700, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> I think if we re-frame this, we end up witn a non-issue.
>
> Firstly, the notion of "swap" is antiquated and has no purpose in an OS on
> the verge of the 21st century.
>
> The correct way to do this, IMHO, is to use unallocated filesystem space
> as swap space.
> [...]

HP-UX does this. It's a royal pain in real world: either someone fill up the
disk with files and you get out of swap space, or someone eats up swap space
and you end up with less disk space than you need to install your new package.
Surprinsing, isn't it, when the same install on a stricktly identical
(hard and soft) machine worked fine.

We ended up adding a second disk to our HP machines, only for swap, and
disabled swap on the primary drive. Not really different from a swap
partition.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>