Subject: Re: MFS over ISO-9660 union mounted with no swap space?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/11/1999 22:22:35
"Erik E. Fair" wrote:

> If one were to boot NetBSD from a CD-ROM, make no use of local hard disks,
> and wished to provide some temporary writeable storage, would mounting an
> MFS on top of the ISO-9660 FS with a union mount work (i.e. is union stable
> these days, and does that combination of FS's work)?

Union does seem to have some problems (_not_ personal experience, I
don't use it).  Could you not just mount an MFS on /tmp and put all
temporary files there, with perhaps symlinks in known places pointing
to somewhere /tmp if you can't easily change the referenced path names?

> The other thing that such a configuration would have to deal with is not
> having any swap space configured - is this something that UVM can deal with
> gracefully these days?

I've been running my new pmax Xterm (formerly Ultrix) without swap for
a few days because I hadn't yet got around to setting it up yet.  No
problems so far...

Simon.