Subject: Re: usb mouse goofyness on B&W G3 Powermac
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Scott Reynolds <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/11/1999 01:23:39
By the way...

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 6 May 1999 14:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
>  Bill Studenmund <> wrote:
>  > I'm having trouble with my usb mouse on my G3 powermac. Mainly if it's
>  > attached and I press a key, the key keeps repeating.
>  >
>  > I'm really uncertain as to what to do to fix it.
> I think it may be some sort of race condition, such that it only happens
> on faster machines; your G3 is 300MHz, correct?
> I have not heard of this happening on the (slower, 233MHz) iMac.

This same problem happens on my original iMac (233MHz).  Two observations:

If I hit the left shift key before I type anything else but after init has
opened the console, everything's fine.

If I start X via xdm, even without hitting the shift key I don't have any
trouble.  If I kill X to go to single user mode, however, I seem to recall
that I had to hit the shift key before typing anything else.  (Even after
I've been using the keyboard and mouse for a while in X.)