Subject: Re: vague proposal for new scheduler primitive: asynchronous "sleep"
To: Bill Sommerfeld <>
From: Assar Westerlund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/10/1999 03:14:56
Bill Sommerfeld <> writes:
> Random questions:
>  - Did I just reinvent a square wheel?  (i.e., is this worthwhile at all?)

I dunno, but first of all, isn't this the same idea as `continuations'
in Mach?  See:

Richard P. Draves, Brian N. Bershad, Richard F. Rashid, Randall
W. Dean. Using Continuations to Implement Thread Management and
Communication in Operating Systems.  Technical Report CMU-CS-91-115,
Carnegie Mellon University, October 1991. Also appears in the
proceedings of the Thirteenth Symposium on Operating Systems(SOSP).

It also sounds somewhat similar to the scheme proposed by Matt Dillon