Subject: more on splice()
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: John Kohl <jtk@Rational.Com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/07/1999 09:39:28
      Author: Kevin Fall
      Author: Joseph Pasquale
       Title: Exploiting In-Kernel Data Paths to Improve I/O Throughput and CPU Availability
       Pages: 327-333
   Publisher: USENIX
 Proceedings: USENIX Technical Conference Proceedings
        Date: Winter 1993
    Location: San Diego, CA
 Institution: University of California, San Diego

There's no on-line copy at the USENIX library yet.
Here's the abstract as I have typed it in:

We present teh motivation, design, implementation, and performance
evaluation of a UNIX kernel mechanism capable of establishing fast
in-kernel data pathways between I/O objects.  A new system call,
splice(), moves data asynchronously and without user-process
intervention to and from I/O objects specified by file descriptors.
Performance measurements indicate improved I/O throughput and increased
CPU availability attributable to data copying and context switch
overhead.

--
==John Kohl <jtk@rational.com>, Software Engineer
Rational Software, Configuration Management Business Unit