Subject: Panics in #define DIAGNOSTIC code ?
To: None <>
From: Heiko W.Rupp <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/1999 13:24:05

looking at kern/7321, I saw that the panic mentioned
is produced as result of

                        if (ISSET(bp->b_flags, B_DONE|B_DELWRI) &&
                            bp->b_bcount < size)
                                panic("getblk: block size invariant failed");

While it is a good idea, to have some invariant checking now and then,
I don't see the point to panic the system here.

- the checked invariant is not important, so a printf() is enough

- the check is important as it could lead to inconsistent data
otherwise, then it shoudl always be executed and not only when
DIAGNOSTIC is defined.

What do others think?

          See <a href="">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
What would you term a successful computer date?
  "Hands-on experience."