Subject: Re: kernel question on file bsdsrc/sys/sys/systm.h
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/26/1999 05:35:57
> Marc D Bumble <bumble@groucho.ennovatenetworks.com> writes:
> > Please forgive  me if  I am  incorrect or confused  here, but  why are
> > printf and vprintf defined in file bsdsrc/sys/sys/systm.h as returning
> > type void?
> [...]
> > Is there something unusual about the way these function need to
> > operate in the kernel?
>
> Good guess. Try reading sys/kern/subr_prf.c
	huh?  subr_prf.c doesn't seem to give any reason for those functions
returning void.  They could easily be made to save what kprintf returns and
return it.  Of course, that would increase the code size a little bit which,
since nothing uses the return value, would be nearly pointless.  I don't see
any other reason for returning void.

eric