Subject: "Fixing" the SB_MAX option and binary kernel kits.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/1999 13:34:11
Folks,

<sys/socketvar.h> includes "opt_sb_max.h", and then further down defines
SB_MAX if it isn't already defined.  This has the effect of causing
40-odd files to be recompiled if one simply added "options SB_MAX=foo"
to their config file.

The only place SB_MAX is used is to set the value of the variable
sb_max in kern/uipc_socket2.c (with a comment saying "patchable").
I was simply going to remove the inclusion of "opt_sb_max.h" in
<sys/socketvar.h> and add it to the top of kern/uipc_socket2.c, but then
started wondering where we're headed overall with "binary kits" for
kernels.  Since every kernel builds kern/uipc_socket2.c, would it make
more sense to initalise sb_max in conf/param.c?

Simon.