Subject: Re: We need a clone() or rfork().
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/15/1999 11:59:14
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:07:22 -0400 (EDT)
 Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> wrote:

 > I remember Jason Thorpe speaking a while back about having the VM mechanisms
 > available to do an implementation of clone() or rfork() (not necessarily
 > threading, but `splitting a process').

Can you tell me precisely what Wine needs?  I.e. what clone()/rfork()
flags does it use?

Note, the OpenBSD rfork() doesn't actually share the address space, but
rather uses sharing maps ... sharing maps don't exist in UVM.  Also,
the original rfork() API specifies that RFMEM _does not actually share
the address space_, but only shares text/data (i.e. stack, heap, etc.
are apparently NOT shared).  So, calling the new call rfork() seems rather
lame, to me.

I'd rather implement it as clone(2) to be quite honest, although I do

This isn't too hard, but it's not going to be in 1.4.