Subject: Re: Debugging a device driver (How to?)
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox , Riaz Randeree <RiazR@cat.co.za>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@araneus.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/15/1999 10:42:35
Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com> said:
> Grrrr.....  don't get me started.  I spent the better part of two days
> banging my head against the wall trying to get this to work.  :(
>
> The problem is due to a bug in NetBSD's com driver.  The fix,
> including patch, is in PR #6502.  (The patch is against 1.3.2 but it
> should still work on subsequent releases.)

Please note that there are at least two different com driver bugs that
affect kernel debugging, the other one being PR #6547.  You may need
to apply the patches from both PRs.

> It makes me rather sad to think how many potential developers of
> drivers for NetBSD may have been discouraged away from doing so

You are not the only one who's frustrated.  As the author of the two
above PRs, I have made appeals to have these patches committed both on
tech-kern and privately to more than one NetBSD developer, but to no avail.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@araneus.fi