Subject: Re: ep driver lossage
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/14/1999 10:26:54
>I've though about this, but I fear this affects other PnP boards as well ...
>I don't know if Linux has ISA PnP support in the kernel now.

The comment says it puts the card into the 'wait for key' state, which
is just what the code in isapnp_init() says its doing.
And isapnp_isa_attach_hook() calls isapnp_init()...
so it should be safe to put the cards into `wait for key' state
the same way that Linux does.

I'm guessing that the isapnp_isa_attach_hook is also re-enabling
response to the 3c509-specific ISA auto-scan.  I just dont know how
this might mess up a later isapnp probe, if it turns out hte board was
configured to pnp mode after all.

to put it another way: we need to test kernels configured for both isa
and isapno in two cases:

   1) card set up for isapnp by vendor firmware/bios
   2) card not set up for isapnp

What I suggested should (may?) fix #2, but may also break #1.

(Manuel: can you try a patch from where you are today?)