Subject: Re: `Large Inodes'
To: None <>
From: Stefan Grefen <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/1999 12:51:52
In message <Pine.GSO.3.95.990326180758.14020A-100000@jericho>  "Eduardo E. Horvath" wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Our system is a little different - we never blow away the file, just its
> > data. So each file always has an inode, and has 0 length. That's why a
> > larger inode would have been cool. :-)
> Have you considered truncating the file to one fragment and stashing the
> extra data there and setting one bit in the inode indicating the file has
> been migrated and the information to track it is in that fragment?

Never add the additional data in less than fs-blocksize chunks to the
real one. Well behaved programs try to do IO on blocksize boundaries,
and this would just defeat the purpose ....

> Eduardo Horvath
> 	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me

Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.                       High Performance Research Center
 --- Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge. ---