Subject: Re: trivial: can't compile kernel without PCMCIA
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/1999 12:00:58
Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> writes:
> This is bogus.
>
> If config doesn't object, the kernel should link correctly.

I have an orthogonal but conceptually similar class of problem, btw,
with our current MII framework. As it stands, you can happily link a
kernel with an ethernet driver that needs MII support to run without
specifying any MII drivers at all. This leads to very mysterious
problems for the users who don't know why their ethernet doesn't
work, and there is no reason for an ordinary user to understand what
the problem is (not even documentation). :(

I'm not sure the term "bogus" is right. I think it is better to say
"there are certain unfortunate properties for naive users in the way
we've done things, and we ought to make them more user friendly if we
can."

.pm