Subject: Re: as long as we're hitting FFS...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/1999 17:08:48
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> And just what, exactly, are other people going to want to stick in here?
> It's storage for overlay fs's. I really don't forsee having two overlay
> fs's running on top of each other at the same time, each needing per-inode
> storage.

If this is truly where you are going, you _have_ to provide the hooks
so the Wrong Thing cannot happen.  (i.e. multiple overlays, use of
wrong overlay.)  You haven't done that (that i've seen).

It's not enough to say "we make rope" here.  It's simply _wrong_ to
allow a simple, potentially common naive misconfiguration to trash a
user's file system data.

In other words, even for the problem you propose to solve, your
solution is not complete.

cgd