Subject: Re: Y2038, was as long as we're hitting FFS...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/1999 14:49:45
Bill, the point is that throwing in this inode change at the last
minute like this is the wrong thing to do, not that we should or
shouldn't use fat timestamps.   Fat timestamps are merely one of many
examples that have been raised as to why we should have a serious
design review before proceeding with this new code.

There seems to be a fundamental disconnect here - you want to make a
change to a really common global structure two days before the 1.4
code freeze, with no design review and no specification for what your
change does other than a few messages to the mailing list.

If you were proposing this two months ago, we'd have had time to do
the design review correctly.  You've simply chosen the wrong time to
put forward this proposal.  Can you please stop trying to argue that
this should go into 1.4 and instead write up a design document while
you're waiting for the code freeze?  Then after the code freeze we can
do a design review and get the right code committed to -current well
before the 1.5 cutoff.

			       _MelloN_