Subject: RE: DELAY vs. delay
To: tech-kern@netbsd. org <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/1999 06:18:52
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> DELAY tends to be a macro, while delay tends to be a function call.

Yes, I see, but given the nature of that call (take some time), does it make
sense to have an inline version at all?

Is it a matter of how much microseconds we are dalaying? I.E. should
"DELAY(10)" be used, but "delay(1000)"?

I guess the threshold would be machine dependend. Since most delays use a
constant argument there should be a MD definition for DELAY taking care of
this - and "delay" should never be called directly. On most architectures
(with low function call overhead) the DELAY macro should simply call the
delay() function.

Martin