Subject: Re: Large inodes for ffs
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/1999 21:08:26
> We decided that an inode could contain at most one type of opaque
> (application specific) data. To do anything else would be sticking a file
> system in a file, and that's messy. :-)

I think that's the part that troubles me the most.  It sounds like it solves
only one problem at a time, and seems like it was designed with only one
problem in mind.  But maybe if I knew more about it, I'd be less worried that
the filesystem format will have to change again to support any use other than
the original problem which motivated the design.