Subject: Re: Large inodes for ffs
To: Perry E. Metzger <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/1999 18:22:12
>>  * We're very close to the 1.4 cut, and if the code goes in now, there
>> will probably not too much testing. Can we risk this?
>I have serious concerns about this.
>There are only a few days to the 1.4 quiet start. No one other than
>your team has looked at this previously. There might be considerable
>amounts of feedback, improvements, etc. -- and no time in which to
>consider them before putting in a major new interface. 

so put in in 1.4 and call it an experimental feature that mightnot be
ready for primetime or uneasy users.  as bill said, you don't get it
unless you add options LIFFS to your kernel config and rebuild.

>Furthermore, there might be considerable amounts of fallout from
>this. I know this "shouldn't" cause trouble, since it has been tested
>for a while, but lots of things that "shouldn't" cause trouble do.
>Given that 1.5 is currently scheduled for fall, maybe we could wait to 
>commit this until after the branch, and gain the benefits of six
>months of feedback on the design and testing before putting something
>this big into a release?

solaris had doors for years (2.3?  or was it 2.4?) before they told
everyone what they were.  and if it does get put in now, there will
probably be a few people who'll play with it and give valuable
feedback who might not otherwise since they don't regularly run
-current anywhere.

like myself, for example.

|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|             * "ah!  i see you have the internet (Andrew Brown)                that goes *ping*!"       * "information is power -- share the wealth."