Subject: Re: Large inodes for ffs
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/1999 14:51:14
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> On 23 Mar 1999 16:59:43 -0500
>  "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>
>  > There are only a few days to the 1.4 quiet start. No one other than
>
> Well, you did say to get those major projects in before the "quiet period"!!

However, nowhere did i hear perry say:

"Get code into the tree before it's given the appropriate public
design consideration due a modification of its size."

It's no more appropriate to do that right before a release branch is
cut than it is at any other time.

You folks are talking a serious modification to the file system API
and usage, that the project would have to either live with for a long
time -- or become incompatible with and thereby alienate any users of
the alleged 'supported' 'feature.'  That deserves serious thought and
consideration, more than a week or week and a half in public, EVEN IF
the public consensus is that your original conclusions and
implementation were 100% on target.  (personally, hearing what i've
heard, i doubt that they are, but really that's a side issue.)

cgd