Subject: Re: Large inodes for ffs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/1999 14:09:52
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
>  * Are there some utilies (fsck?) to convert the FS to all-big inodes (if
> that's even wanted)? Or is this "mixed size" operation the usual mode,
> with only some inodes being "big" ones?

I think an FS will be newfs'd big or little at newfs time.

Potentially one _could_ do a conversion without too much hassle, if one
was willing to halve the number of available i-nodes on the disc (I
presume the on-disc layout is still the same). This would mean that it
would be possible to move to large i-nodes without having to relocate
any FS data (which is basically a no go). You'd still need to reassign
i-node numbers within directories. Just the daily mad thought.

	Neil