Subject: Re: Large inodes for ffs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/1999 13:54:31
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
>  * Are there some utilies (fsck?) to convert the FS to all-big inodes (if
> that's even wanted)? Or is this "mixed size" operation the usual mode,
> with only some inodes being "big" ones?

No. An fs is either a large inode fs or a small inode fs. Mixing and
matching in an fs would have been messy.

>  * We're very close to the 1.4 cut, and if the code goes in now, there
> will probably not too much testing. Can we risk this?

I personally think so. :-) We've been testing it for a couple of months.
Also, all of the kernel changes are turned on with an options LIFFS, so if
you don't define LIFFS, you don't get changed code. :-)

Take care,

Bill