Subject: Re: Large inodes for ffs
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/1999 13:53:07
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:34:33 +0100 (MET)
 Hubert Feyrer <> wrote:

 >  * Are there some utilies (fsck?) to convert the FS to all-big inodes (if
 > that's even wanted)? Or is this "mixed size" operation the usual mode,
 > with only some inodes being "big" ones?

A file system is newfs'd normal, or with the large-inode option.  A
given file system instance does not have both large and small inodes.

Whether or not the extra space in the inode is actually USED is another
thing altogether.

 >  * We're very close to the 1.4 cut, and if the code goes in now, there
 > will probably not too much testing. Can we risk this?

Yes.  The large inode support itself is fairly straight-forward.  And, we've
been running it here for some time already.

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <>