Subject: Re: Configuring memory parameters for large network-based services
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/22/1999 03:10:39
	A quick answer before someone who really understands this stuff
	wakes up :)

On 22 Mar 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

> (1)  What controls how much memory the pool system can use?

	It looks like its still dependent on NMBCLUSTERS
	arch/XXX/XXX/machdep.c defined the mb_map size in terms of
	VM_MBUF_SIZE, which is defined as a multiple of NMBCLUSTERS.

> (2)  How do I make that space larger?

	options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096 or some suitable large number.

> (3)  Will the pages marked as idle ever be reclaimed by the pool
>      system, or released back into the system via kernel free()?

	Uh, pass.

> (4)  What knobs should I fiddle with to make this machine into a large
>      network-based server, cable of handling a few thousand clients?

	Iff mb_map is the only barrier you're hitting, then NMBCLUSTERS
	_should_ be enough.

		David/absolute

                -=-  "Why am I seething with this animosity"  -=-