Subject: Re: wscons & framebuffers
To: Brett D. Slager <bds@snarf.thnet.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/21/1999 23:21:34
"Brett D. Slager" <bds@snarf.thnet.com> writes:
> Would the user space bus_space implementation use the device driver d_mmap()
> routine for mapped access, or some other mechanism?  What means should be
> used for getting the 'space' descriptions out of the kernel?

a few ioctls, plus d_mmap(), ioctls, and MD access methods as
appropriate.  (where d_mmap() of a linear region + pointer
dereferencing might be used for the frame buffer, but you might need
to use bus_space_*() equivalents which either invoke a 'weird' pointer
based access method, or use an MD method, or use ioctl to access the
register region.)

There's nothing to say that e.g. the 'register region' acts anything
like memory at all.

i wish jason would actually post the prototype spec for those routines
that he indicated he'd already posted...  8-)

cgd