Subject: Re: framebuffer mmap access
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Brett D. Slager <bds@snarf.thnet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/21/1999 21:15:31
> 	1.	Shouldn't wsdisplaymmap allow mapping under both text and
> 		graphics conditions?  It's perfectly reasonable to want to
> 		mmap the display on a tga regardless of any text emulations.
> 		In fact, a careful program could take advantage of this to
> 		mix text and graphics on the screen at the same time.  An X
> 		server will not work at all on a tga that happens to be the
> 		console.  This is bad - tgas don't have virtual terminals.

I noticed WSDISPLAYIO_SMODE after I wrote this.  Someone snuck it in after
I had read over all the wscons code. ;)  This still leaves the problem of
not being able to mix text and graphics on a framebuffer.
Has it been decided that it just won't be?  I kinda liked having console
messages show up on top of the X display:  You can actually see why your
machine paniced :)

--Brett