Subject: Re: NFS and TCP
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/19/1999 14:07:24
On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 01:50:30PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> what was the primary reason to switch to TCP mounts for the defaults ?
> As I understand it, UDP mounts should be faster for local servers (which
> is the most common case IMHO), but I may have missed something.

Err, to be clear: the default transport for NFS mounts is UDP, as far
as mount_nfs and the kernel are concerned. It's just that amd wants
TCP for some reason. I don't know why this was done in amd.

There is at least one problem with TCP that fixes some (perhaps all?
I don't know) amd problems. The problem is known but not yet fixed.

- Frank