Subject: Re: ELF symbols for DDB
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/16/1999 09:49:05
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> I'm having problems loading symbols from an ELF kernel on the pmax, and
> came across the following snippet from arch/mips/include/db_machdep.h:
>
> 	/*
> 	 * We use ELF symbols in DDB.
> 	 *
> 	 */
> 	/* #define	DB_ELF_SYMBOLS */
> 	#define	DB_AOUT_SYMBOLS
>
> Without knowing much about the way ddb actually loads the symbols, could
> this be (part of) my problem?  The comment seems reversed as well...

  The DB_*_SYMBOLS is needed so that ddb knows what kind of symbol table
is present.  [I'm assuming that the ELF symbol table format is different -
I haven't checked this yet.]  I think that the comment may have come from
when the DB_ELF_SYMBOLS was originally added to the file, but since the
pmax was currently using aout kernels, the DB_AOUT_SYMBOLS was defined,
but the comment didn't get updated.

Michael