Subject: Re: newfs/newlfs/newfs_msdos (was Re: Some LFS troubles)
To: Chris G. Demetriou" , "Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/1999 00:54:13
On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 05:30:42PM -0800, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> writes:
> > Has anyone thought about {dump,restore}_{ffs,lfs,etc} and so on?
>
> not really, but they probably should.

  Well, I did a few days ago:  See my message from 03/03
on "dump and nodump flag".  My point was, if we allowed dump
to use a generic filesystem traversal framework (like fts, but
also for unmounted filesystems) and did a clean job of it, then
it would be trivial to write dump for other filesystem types --
you'd just have to change the walker, and maybe some bits of the
dumped information, depending on the fs.

  I would like to write such a dump, and see if the reduction
to one less pass with a traversal makes up for the lack of
locality in the inode reads.

  But I'm afraid that will have to wait until after I write a
dissertation.  :)

  Brian