Subject: Re: newfs/newlfs/newfs_msdos (was Re: Some LFS troubles)
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/1999 08:17:10
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:03:49 -0700  "Michael K. Sanders" wrote:

> To prevent the proliferation of inconsistently named commands to
> create filesystems, does anyone think making newfs(8) a wrapper (like
> mount(8)) that calls newfs_ffs/newfs_msdos/newfs_lfs/etc. would be a
> good idea?

Yes.  I think most commercial Unixen do this; certainly HP-UX does.
HP-UX uses a '-F type' flag to allow the system default filesystem
type to be overridden.

Probably NetBSD would be better to use '-t' to match the existing
option in mount(8).

Re Jason's comment: I don't see why creating a filesystem is so
different to mounting one that a wrapper is inappropriate.  Hardly the
end of the world either way, I would think.

Regards,

Giles