Subject: Some LFS troubles
To: None <perseant@hhhh.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/11/1999 11:06:24
Congratulations for getting the vastly improved LFS in the tree.  Some
feedback on my experience since updating to the in-tree version (from your
version as of about 3 weeks ago, with the THROTTLE change):

I tried to install a new system onto a big IDE disk with a single LFS and a
small boot FFS on it.  Here's what happened:

First: Use of indirect blocks for the ifile appears to produce LFS's that
can't be mounted.  A 5.5GB partition made newlfs say it was using an indirect
block for the ifile but, when mounted, produced a condition in which any
vnop on the root vnode of the filesystem failed -- you couldn't even stat
the root vnode, df blew up, etc.  No good!

Second: I made the LFS smaller -- a little under 4GB.  That seemed to work OK,
so I used rsync to copy a system to it from another local machine.  After
about an hour, it printed out the diagnostic from lfs_vnops.c (dirvcount=33)
and the process writing to the LFS hung irretrievably.  Looks like a wakeup()
is missing somewhere...

Third: I'm having some cleaner problems on my other machine that's been running
LFS for several weeks.  They may be due to corruption from unclean shutdowns
before you fixed the checkpointing, however, but they never showed up before.
Here are the diagnostic messages:

Mar 11 10:51:55 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment: lfs_segmapv failed for segment 933
Mar 11 10:51:55 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment failed segment 933: No message of desired type
Mar 11 10:51:55 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment: lfs_segmapv failed for segment 928
Mar 11 10:51:55 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment failed segment 928: No message of desired type
Mar 11 10:51:56 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment: lfs_segmapv failed for segment 932
Mar 11 10:51:56 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment failed segment 932: No message of desired type
Mar 11 10:51:57 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment: lfs_segmapv failed for segment 924
Mar 11 10:51:57 rekusant lfs_cleanerd[133]: clean_segment failed segment 924: No message of desired type

Thor