Subject: Re: RFC: /kern/summary
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/1999 15:50:09
On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 01:47:20PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Sure, sysctl can't remplace /proc, but for tools such as xosview I'm not sure

[Warning: I am not too happy about things like /kern and /proc in
general.]

I think the variables that Brian suggests adding to kernfs
would fit in well as sysctls.

What I'd really, really like to see is a getprocent(2) (or something
like that) syscall. I imagine it returning a generalized proc structure
and the pid of the next process in the list. Or perhaps all processes
in one

With these things, top and ps would mostly be happy without setxid
and kvm versioning problems (I could even live with ps only having
access to information available in wired kernel memory, but that
it is a semi-separate issue).

With something like this, we could also easily have a sysctl that
says 'you can only get information about (see) your own processes'
or various levels around that.

I have been trying to see how other systems that have such a syscall
do it. AIX has getprocs(). Does anyone know of others?

--
Soren