Subject: Re: RFC: /kern/summary
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@orac.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/1999 15:28:31

#1-3 sound very good to me (from a userland guy's POV :-).

>   My immediate goal is to get an experimental version of this
> in the kernel (hopefully for 1.4) such that xosview can grab
> all of its data through /kern/summary.  Longer-term goals
> include adding a similar verbosely-formatted file to the /proc
> file system so that ps and top can reconstruct all the
> important information in a kinfo_proc from a single file
> (currently, /proc does not provide enough information for full
> ps functionality).  I have no idea on the timescale here.  If
> things go swell and I have the free time, it could take only a
> weekend.

Sounds good. I've spent a thought about this too, and providing all the
symbols that "ps -L" tells you via /proc/*/status would certainly be
nice. One could change the kvm_* functions then to read /proc/* then
instead for (at least) ps.

>   If you strongly believe that this is a Really Really Bad Idea,
> please speak now, or forever hold your peace.  :)

For me, this sounds like a Really Really Really Good Idea. 8-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>