Subject: re: Last chance: Copyrights is OK ?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/1999 17:57:15

   * note, however, that this problem is not new as of NetBSD or the
   other free BSD systems.  There exist plenty of companies out there
   that ignore the even the stock Berkeley terms covering, say, the
   netinet sources...  However, that is completely indefensible; it's
   just one license.  on the other hand, the requirements to meet to
   distribute the whole NetBSD source tree are ridiculous.  for a 1.3-ish
   system, the accumulation of unique licenses totals out at around
   _18000_ lines, over 700KB!!!

this is the reason i took out the "clause 3" (advertising) from all
my code.  so no one has to go around saying "blah blah blah matthew
green, he's so cool, blah blah blah" or whatever (but you're all
more than welcome to do so :-), but everyone can use my code for
whatever they want.

i strongly suggest that TNF restrict new code in the tree to either
their own license, the GPV for necessary code, or ucb-no-clause-3
licenses like mine, so that we can reduce that 18000 lines to some
very much smaller figure.