Subject: Re: Last chance: Copyrights is OK ?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/1999 19:49:21
[ On Tuesday, March 9, 1999 at 01:19:50 (+0100), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Last chance: Copyrights is OK ?
>
> I don't know about any copyright implications myself, too, but I always
> have the same bad feeling about that TNF copyright. How about going for
> the BSD copyright with ensuring that your name is displayed in the proper
> place? Look at src/sys/kern/exec_aout.c for what I'm thinking of as an
> example.

The terms I've given my code for now represent my desires almost
exactly, within the Canadian Copyright Act (which is what applies to
me), modulo the specifics I've already discussed about how the complete
and unaltered notice gets into a binary distribution in such a way that
it's not obscured from the average user and such that my name is not
used as a selling point in advertisments for the distributions my work
is included in.

I've spent a *lot* of time over the years studying the Canadian
Copyright Act, and the international rules which it helps implement, and
I know pretty well exactly what terms I'm willing to release my code
under.  The specific wording of those terms is all I'm really willing to
discuss, and anything else will require someone demonstrably more
knowledgable about the law than I am in order to convince me to change
my mind.

--
							Greg A. Woods