Subject: Re: Last chance: Copyrights is OK ?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/1999 12:23:08
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:33:40 -0800 (PST)
 Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

For comparison, here is what NetBSD Foundation, Inc. license terms look
like:

 > > /*
 > > * Copyright (c) 1998 Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
 > > *
 > > * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
 > > * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
 > > * are met:
 > > *
 > > * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain this entire copyright
 > > * notice, and the following disclaimer, without alteration, in each
 > > * source and documentation file.

 > > * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce this entire
 > > * copyright notice, the following disclaimer, without alteration, in
 > > * the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 > > * distribution.

 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

 > I think this restriction is a hassle. It means that we have to stick the
 > whole message in the release notes, whereas now all we have to do
 > typically is say, "This product contains software developed by XXX." I
 > think these copyrights are verbose in general (not just this one :-), and
 > to have to stick one in the release notes is ugly.

The only difference between Greg's and the standard TNF/UCB license terms
is the ", without alteration, "... and the poor grammar in Greg's version :-)

 > Greg, given that no one can use your name for endorsements, why are you
 > concerned that the disclamer goes in the notes? Has someone sued you or
 > something?
 >
 > > * 3. The name of the author may NOT be used to endorse or promote
 > > * products derived from this software without specific prior written
 > > * permission.
 > > *
 > > * 4. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
 > > * misrepresented as being the original software.  This copyright
 > > * notice, and the following, disclaimer must not be removed from any
 > > * derivative work and must not be changed in any way.
 >
 > Everything else looks ok.

This last one is bloody annoying, actually.  But, I suppose one could
always just put a comment in the top of the file saying - "This was modified
from the original".

Really, the best thing here would be for Greg to assign copyright to
The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.