Subject: Re: Last chance: Copyrights is OK ?
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp@wanadoo.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/1999 10:33:40
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Eric Delcamp wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Well, the last time I posted this, I get no responses. So, it's the last
> chance to modify this copyrights notice from Greg before integration in
> kernel.
> ----------------
> /*
> * lm7x: LM78/LM79 hardware monitor chip driver
> */
>
> /*
> * Copyright (c) 1998 Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
> *
> * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> * are met:
> *
> * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain this entire copyright
> * notice, and the following disclaimer, without alteration, in each
> * source and documentation file.
> *
> * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce this entire
> * copyright notice, the following disclaimer, without alteration, in
> * the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
> * distribution.

I think this restriction is a hassle. It means that we have to stick the
whole message in the release notes, whereas now all we have to do
typically is say, "This product contains software developed by XXX." I
think these copyrights are verbose in general (not just this one :-), and
to have to stick one in the release notes is ugly.

Greg, given that no one can use your name for endorsements, why are you
concerned that the disclamer goes in the notes? Has someone sued you or
something?

> * 3. The name of the author may NOT be used to endorse or promote
> * products derived from this software without specific prior written
> * permission.
> *
> * 4. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
> * misrepresented as being the original software.  This copyright
> * notice, and the following, disclaimer must not be removed from any
> * derivative work and must not be changed in any way.

Everything else looks ok.

Take care,

Bill