Subject: Re: am7930 driver revisited...
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/1999 09:13:46
On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> i have some ~8-months old patches to start using the am79c30 attached
> to the DEC ioctl asic on TC alphas and the Personal DECstation.
>
> One of the big gotchtas is that sys/dev/ic/am7930.c frobs a device
> struct directly. That doesn't work very well with the DMA-based ioctl
> attachment, not to mention endian-ness issues.

Hmm... This might explain part of the reason I'm having problems getting
the driver to work.  All it seems to do is make a rather annoying popping
noise.

> At the time i hacked up some MD macros (see below); should we commit
> this (modulo updates in the meantime), or frob the driver directly to
> bus_space(9) and make all attachments pass in a bus-space tag?

May as well go directly to bus_space(9), that's what it's there for.
No point in reimplemnting it for all architectures yet again.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me