Subject: creating random files
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/1999 15:16:23
Hi,
I'm not sure there is an appropriate list for this, so I post it here -
the final goal being a tool to test filesystems.

Well, I'd like to add a regress tool for ffs (kernel and utilities).
For this I need to create some files with random data in them (creating files
from /dev/zero will just be too weak for diff -R after a dump/restore or
fsck -B). I can see 3 way of doing this:
1  write a small C program that uses random(). Such a tool could be easy to
   put in src/regress
2  use /dev/random. It's not in the GENERIC config file yet, but should be
   for 1.4
3  use dd on /netbsd.

Which method do you prefer ? I think 2 would be the best if we can assume
/dev/random is configured in GENERIC for each port. Otherwise 1 would be
OK. 3 is really a hack, I'd prefer avoid it.