Subject: Re: files created by linux binaries
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/07/1999 14:16:39
On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 02:06:43PM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Wouldn't all the files be created under "normal" tree by either
> creat(2) or open(2) with O_CREAT ? I can't see any reason why I would
> like the linux binary to create the files under /emul/linux.

For creation, the code checks whether the directory in which the
file is to be created exists under /emul/linux, and if so, it
will create it there. Everything else goes in the normal tree.

I did this to make utilties work that create Linux-specific configuration
files, especially ones that do it in system directories. It will get
confusing if those were put in the NetBSD tree. An example of this
is ldconfig.

Normally this works fine; all "local" data will go in a directory that
you do not have in your /emul/linux tree anyway. Sometimes you may
not want this behavior. What probably should be done is make this behaviour
cofnigurable per process.

- Frank