Subject: Re: curproc in procfs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/1999 10:49:05
Michael Graff wrote:

> Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de> writes:
>
> > I generally agree, but isn't the current curproc also subject
> > to change any time?

Well, I was just thinking loud. Trying to make my conclusions clear
that curproc can only be of value for the currently running
process.

> Isn't curproc the process who did the open?  If so, it's really not
> possible, is it?

Well, that's what I tried to rephrase with the following words
(I know my Englisch is not very good :-(

:If it really points to the process currently exectuting,
:then the process currently executing will be able to access
:itself through it, not? Hmm, well, in a multiprocessor world

But this still leaves the following question unanswered.

:a process/thread running on one CPU might be able to identify
:the processes/threads running on the other CPU. But what would
:the process do with this information?

  Guenther