Subject: inter lkm symbol resolution
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/1999 00:26:22
Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> writes:

> > We need more and better LKMs (no, I don't have time to work on
> > this :-( )
> >
> On the way :-) I'll start checking parts of this in after the 1.4 branch.
> (See discussions on tech-kern a couple of weeks ago).
>
> -- Ragge

What's the situation with inter-lkm dependencies btw? I notice a
simple pr which solves this issue with minimal change. Obviously the
`right' way to do this is via /dev/ksyms (I don't think an in-kernel
linker, e.g freebsd3.0 is the right approach, though I can see a lot
of performance benefits), but the provided pr does not tie us in to
any particular framework i.e lkm `clients' don't care what links them,
just as long as they are linked. Can we not adopt this simple pr for
1.4? lack of inter-lkm symbol resolution leaves our lkm system in the
dark ages.

--
Julian Assange          <proff@iq.org>         http://iq.org/~proff

There were only 27 Republicans in this town, and you have
eaten four of them.
    - Nineteenth century American judge, sentencing to death
      a convicted cannibal.