Subject: Re: More on rcons performance woes: pmax profiling
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/1999 13:57:32
"R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org> writes:
> I remember being
> annoyed by sun's scrolling back in the days of SunOS 4.1.3.  Having
> the screen scroll up ten lines just because a single line has been
> output is suboptimal, IMO.

sure, yes.  however, that's not the point i was trying to make:

the code to do that's there now, and would be a reasonable way to test
the speed improvement gained based on scrolling multiple lines at once.

However, even if the notion of deferring input until you have a
certain amount, or whatever, before processing it/scrolling/whatever
is implemented, the existing 'sun' behaviour of allowing multiple line
jumps should stay the same.  it's a long-existing and well-documented
part of sun consoles.  8-)

cgd