Subject: Re: More on rcons performance woes: pmax profiling
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/1999 10:17:11
Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us> writes:
> The existing wscons emulations could probably be made to do jump
> scroll without much in the way of interface changes (you'd probably
> want to increase the number of characters pushed down through the
> output routine at a time; the current count of ~128 is a bit on the
> small side to get much real benefit); currently, it just does normal
> scrolling.

The 'sun' emulator at least implements the Sun console 'normal' way of
picking how much to scroll at a time, ESC[<n>r (known in the Sun
manual pages as SUNSCRL; btw, in case anybody's watching, the name
wscons and the fact that it's apparently the same as the sun console
driver name was unintentional, or at least, not a conscious decision
8-).

per the sun defaults, it defaults to 1.  (originally, with the old
wscons code, it defaulted to 10 to make performance suck less.  when i
started the new wscons code and cleaned up the emulation bits, i
turned it back down to 1 since that's what sun had as their default.)

you might try using the sun emulation, bumping it up, and measureing
the result.

cgd