Subject: Re: sys/lib/libsa: Cleanup and making stuff "smaller".
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/1999 08:48:09
On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 11:22:36PM -0500, Gordon W. Ross wrote:
> How about a "boot file system" (BFS) then?  (a la SysVr4)
>
> That way, the first stage program only needs to know how
> to read the second stage out of the bfs, and the bfs is
> specifically designed to make life easy for the ignorant
> little first stage loader.  (Contiguous, no subdirs, ...)
>
> It preserves the advantages of letting the second stage
> program be large (and hopefully smart) whild the first
> stage is small and stupid...

Uhm, for the Amiga, I'll do something different.

It already allows "file system code" to be installed in the RDB structure
(corresponds to disk labels, roughly), and even provides free relocation with
it, so I'll eventually provide RDB-installed bootblock and be done with it.

Hm... for floppy install, maybe using the tar fs, two-stage might be the way
to go.

Regards,
	Ignatios