Subject: Re: Making file handles useful outside of NFS
To: None <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov, tech-kern@netbsd.org, frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/26/1999 15:16:46
Hi,

> Looks okay to me. While you're at it, maybe you can split off exporting
> filesystems from the mount() system call, i.e. introduce an exportfs()
> system call (as SunOS had) :-) Overloading the mount call with this is
> kind of ugly.

Well, this probably makes sense.  However, the main problem is that mountd
really only groks the ufs filesystem.  So any other filesystem that wants
to be exportable has to resemble the mount arguments of the ufs filesystem.

We once had a version that used a special filesystem type for getting
the information from mountd into the kernel, but that got lost during
the merge of the 4.4-Lite code :-(.  I hope that this filesystem
independence can be resurrected during this process.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800