Subject: Re: passing in the booted kernel name...?
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/1999 10:08:11
In message <Pine.GSO.4.05.9901081633310.7609-100000@cynic.anim.dreamworks.com>  David Brownlee wrote:
> 	We should really make machdep.booted_kernel a MI variable -
> 	all ports would benefit (or at the worst not fail), from this
> 	facility. At the moment if you boot '/netbsd.test' everything
> 	will run against /netbsd, which is just... lame.

lame? dangerous!!!
Try loading a lkm :-)

> 	For netbooted or similar environments where you cannot access
> 	the original kernel you could at least check for the same filename
> 	in the root filesystem. It might be wrong, but it will be right
> 	much more often than the current situation...

I think there are very few reasons to not load the stuff into the kernel.
We can restrict, for small systems, the list of incorporated symbols to those needed for ps,
netstat and friends. This would be few kbytes at most. You couldn't load a lkm against it,
but you don't do that on small systems anyway :-))

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center