Subject: Re: Multiple linux /emul environments
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/1999 14:23:20
In article <Pine.GSO.4.05.9902191304040.16700-100000@cynic.anim.dreamworks.com> abs@anim.dreamworks.com (David Brownlee) writes:
>	We are running the linux ADSM (big IBM backup system) client on
>	NetBSD/i386 boxes here. It is statically linked, and also
>	interacts rather badly with /emul/linux. If a directory exists
>	in /emul/linux it will backup the contents of that directory
>	rather than the real filesystem.
>
>	What we need is some way to tell the kernel that certain linux
>	binaries do not use /emul/linux.
>
>	Trying to generalise this, would it make sense to allow binaries
>	to be tagged (possibly via an elf note) to run with different
>	/emul/XXXX paths? Maybe based on the Vendor-specific ELF note
>	docs as at www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/elf-notes.html

If you are running /current you can make the binary only look in the
real tree (and not in /emul) by prefixing the path with /..

For example if /emul/linux/lib exists, a linux program accessing /lib
will actually reference /emul/linux/lib, but if it accesses /../lib
it will reference the real /lib.

christos
christos